Scottish brewer, BrewDog, is once again turning to its fans for capital. Termed "Equity for Punks," the innovative fundraising scheme is based on a belief in raising capital from customers instead of banks. "Equity for Punks" I and II raised close to £3m and resulted in over 6000 new shareholders. This time, BrewDog is seeking to raise £4m by 2014. It appears they won't have a problem doing so as the brewery already raised £1m within first 24 hours.
The beautiful thing about "Equity for Punks" is that it is all about turning customers into owners. As the brewery states on its website, "[o]ur marketing strategy has always been to try to shorten the distance as much as possible between ourselves and the people who drink our beers: Equity for Punks is the ultimate incarnation of this philosophy." Equity Punks is therefore less of a financial investment opportunity as it is a chance to become a part of the brand. Indeed, dividends are but one part of a broader membership experience that includes:
- Lifetime discount in all of our BrewDog Bars
- Lifetime discount on our online shop
- Exclusive first options on all our special and limited edition beers
- Invites to our (soon to be legendary) AGMs • Being able to participate in our annual by shareholders, for shareholders beer
- Having your say in how the company is run
- Owning your very own part of BrewDog
- Sell and trade your shares on www.equitypunks.com or at a potential later listing
- £10 worth of Beer Bucks as a welcome gift
Federal and state regulations are changing here in the U.S. such that breweries will soon be able to more easily sell shares online to the general public. We're excited about providing a platform to faciliate this new capital source that will bridge the gap between craft breweries and their passionate fans. We will have more details soon, but right now craft beer lovers can join our growing community in anticipation of these new ownership experiences.